The church in America is declining. While the population is continually increasing, church attendance and membership is declining. I believe the reason this is taking place is because the church is ceasing to reach people. This is a major problem because the church exist to reach people and bring them to Christ.
Yesterday morning, we looked at two reasons why we are to reach people:
1. Jesus came to reach people: “The Son of man came to seek and save the lost.” Luke 19:10
2. God rejoices when people are reached: “Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” Luke 15:7
That is the motivation and understanding we must have in order to reach people. This is not our mission but HIS! God’s mission is to bring back what was lost at the fall through the person of Jesus and we get a chance to join in. However, for many of us, we may wonder practically how we can do this.
I believe one of the essentials things that must happen for us to reach people is to be intentional. So I want to give us a practical way to be intentional about reaching people.
1 Name, 5 Task, 1 Mission
We identify one person that is in our life that does not have a personal relationship with Jesus. They could be a relative, co-worker, friend, waiter, gym buddy, anyone.
Next, we commit to do 5 things for that person:
1. Pray: We commit to pray for that person and their salvation on a daily basis
2. Serve: We look for ways to serve this person.
3. Give: We look for ways to give them a godly resource, such as music, a book, or maybe a certain article.
4. Invite: We invite them into our homes, to eat, to Life Groups, and to church.
5. Share: Ultimately, we look for ways to share with them the good news of Jesus Christ and how His story has changed our story.
There are many ways to be intentional but I have found this is a simple and clear way to start being intentional in reaching people. My prayer is that God would create in us a heart like His to reach people and to share the Gospel with them!